In our Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) section we have gathered the most common questions and general information on recycling and recyclables collection, how to treat various types of waste and what you can do in case your bin is damaged or missing.

Why should I recycle?

Recycling is one of the major positive contributions every one of us can do every day to reduce our impact on the environment.

Each product we buy needs resources to be grown or produced. For example, packaging materials of our groceries, plastic bags, even your T-shirt is partly made of scarce raw oil. In our traditional approach, we throw away the things we do not need any more or are broken. Once disposed, they will be burnt at the incineration plant, destroying valuable secondary resources like plastics and the ash will be disposed at Semakau Landfill. A sustainable choice is to recycle as much as possible to keep the valuable secondary raw materials like plastics or papers in the production lifecycle and make new products out if it, reducing incinerating and landfill disposal.

Recycling is made easy for every resident. Each landed properties and each HDB block has at least one blue recycling bin. Make it your everyday habit to separate waste into recyclables and non-recyclables and dispose your recyclables waste in the blue recyclables bin and the general waste into the green refuse bins.

What are the recyclables I can dispose in the recycling bin?

Please, ONLY dispose of the following items to the blue recycle bin:

Paper (eg. newspapers, magazines, books, office papers, junk mails, paper packaging)
Plastic (eg. drinking plastic bottles, plastic bags, tetra paks, plastic containers)
Glass (eg. drinking glass bottles, glass jars, glass containers)
Metal (eg. aluminium cans, tins cans, oil cans, candy cans)

Please make sure your recyclables waste is clean and not contaminated with food waste or liquids. Please empty out any container and rinse residuals before disposing.

What cannot be recycled?

Those items cannot be recycled and must be disposed of in the general waste bin (green):

Food / liquid waste
Organic waste such as stained diapers, stained papers, tissues
Products made from Styrofoam, like Styrofoam cups or take-away boxes
Toys, shoes, bags, spectacles
Dead animals
Curtains, mattress, pillows and bed sheets
Ceramic and porcelain bowls, cups, plates and vases

If non-recyclable waste is dumped into the recycling bin, much time and effort have to be spent sorting out the recyclable items. Some substances, like food waste, can make the whole recycle bin content unrecyclable or can be even be harmful to the people collecting and treating the waste (like broken lightbulbs). Once the recyclables materials inside the bin are contaminated, the entire recycle bin is becoming non-recyclable. We cannot reuse the material and have to dispose it at Semakau Landfill or bring it to the incineration plant.

Please DO NOT put light bulbs and lamps, e-waste and electrical (household) appliances into the general waste collection bin (green). They contain harmful ingredients like heavy metals or mercury which can have harmful effects on individuals handling our wastes and on the environment. Those types of waste need a special treatment and need to be disposed of in specially designated bins. More information can be found in our FAQ.

What happens to the recycling waste?

The recyclables are taken to the material recovery facilities where they are sorted mechanically and manually, baled and sent to local recyclers or exported for recycling.

What shall I do with my garden waste (cut grass, leaves, branches etc.) ?

In the Clementi - Bukit Merah sector as well as in the Pasir Ris - Tampines sector, Veolia collects the garden waste of landed properties once a week on designated days. The schedules can be found here.

Cut grass, leaves and branches should be collected in plastic bags and tied securely. Large branches which cannot be placed inside the plastic bag should be tied up in small bundles. Both, plastic bags and bundles of branches should be placed beside the bin in front of your house in the morning of the scheduled day of garden waste collection

What shall I do with bulky items?

Bulky items cannot be collected with the general refuse collection trucks. They need a specially designed truck. If you have bulky items to be collected, please contact the following:

HDB residents who have bulky items to dispose of can contact their town councils for the removal service.
Residents of landed properties can contact our Customer Service via (65) 6865 3140.
Residents of apartments and condominiums contact their managing agent.
Commercial customers can contact our Customer Service (65) 6865 3140.

Where can I dispose batteries?

Any household batteries (e.g. AA, AAA types) which are bought in Singapore meet prescribed limits of mercury content and are safe for disposal of to the general household waste. Those batteries are safe to be incinerated. The incineration plants are equipped with pollution control equipment to remove pollutants and ensure that the emissions meet strict standards prescribed in the regulations of the Environmental Protection and Management Act.

Please do not dispose other types of batteries, like batteries from mobile phones, laptops, cars, etc. in the household waste. Recycle your laptop and mobile phone batteries at recycling points voluntarily offered by manufacturers and retailers of these products. Lead-acid batteries are classified as Toxic Industrial Waste and must be treated as such.

To reduce battery waste and safe money, invest in rechargeable batteries.

Where can I dispose e-waste and cartridges?

Electronic and electric equipment like Infocomm technology (laptops, tablets, computers, mobile phones and respective batteries, peripherals, keyboards, modems, monitors etc), home appliances (like TVs, fridges, air conditioners, washing machines, rice cookers, microwaves, blenders, electric fans, DVD/video/music players, radios, hi-fis, vacuum cleaners) and other types of e-waste like electronic toys, sports and leisure equipment, etc. contain, next to plastic and metal, heavy metals and other harmful substances, which make it inevitable to treat and recycle this sort of waste properly.

There are various voluntary E-Waste Recycling Programmes for individuals and households. Simply drop off your e-waste at the recycling points to properly recycle your e-waste. You can find the recycling stations here .

What can I do with my old clothes and shoes?

If your old clothes and shoes can be reused or are in a good condition, consider selling them or giving them to organizations like the Salvation Army as a donation in kind.

How can I dispose of lightbulbs and lamps correctly?

Lightbulbs and lamps contain either mercury or fluorescence materials which need a special treatment and cannot be disposed of in general bins.
Most of the community centres offer s special bin for all sorts of lamps and lightbulbs for their residents. The bins are placed at selected cafe corners in Residents Committees’ centres and at community centres to enable residents to dispose of their used light bulbs/lamps. Please call your community centre for more information.

Another option is provided by participating companies which provide collection bins for used lamps/fluorescent tubes. They can be found at the following locations:

New Sound Electrical (1 Jalan Bukit Merah #01-4526 Singapore 150001; 11am-7pm daily)
Everyday Lights (717 Yishun St 71 #01-319 Singapore 760717; 11am to 7pm daily)
B&L Light Bath Pte Ltd (No. 6 Ubi Road, 1 Wintech Centre #01-12 Singapore 408726; Mon – Sat: 10:30am to 7:30pm, Sun: 11am to 6pm)
Three Cubes (55 Siglap Road, #01-06, Siglap Centre Singapore 455871; Mon: 11:30am to 5:30pm, Tue – Sun: 11:30am to 8pm)
Lighting Department of IKEA stores at Alexandra (317 Alexandra Road, Singapore 159965, 10am to 11pm daily) or Tampines (60 Tampines North Drive 2, Singapore 528764, 10am to 11pm daily)

What shall I do with dead pets?

Small pets like dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters which passed away, can be disposed of in the general waste bin. Please put the dead pet in a strong opaque plastic bag, tie up the bag securely, and place it in the green bin for general waste.
However, if you find it hard for your family to do that, there are private animal crematoria that offer disposal service for dead pets at a fee in the Yellow Pages.

Please do not drive to our incineration plants to dispose of the dead pet as our facilities are designed for refuse trucks only.

Where do I find the recycle bins at my block?

Most of the recycle bins are located in the basement level, close to the lift and/or near the parking areas. If you are unable to locate the bin, please talk to  the housing board officer or ask at the designated information centre.

What are the collection timings for refuse bins (green) and recyclables bins (blue)?

We are collecting the refuse bins (green) every day between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, including Sundays and public holidays. Depending on the sector and the housing estate you are living in, we are collecting the recyclables (blue bin) on different scheduled days and frequency.

How much are the refuse fees?

A uniform fee (UF) for waste collection services has been introduced to all sectors since 2012. The fee depends on the type of domestic premises. The UF rate is $7.49 per month per HDB flat and $24.81 per month per landed property (both fees inclusive of GST). The complete uniform fee schedule can be found here.

My bin has not been cleared. What can I do?

We collect and clear refuse bins (green bins) daily. Recycle bins (blue) of HDB housing estates will be collected daily in the Pasir Ris - Tampines sector and three times a week in the Clementi - Bukit Merah sector. The recycle bins of landed properties are collected once a week. If they are not cleared in this frequency, please contact our Customer Service at (65) 6865 3140.

My bin is missing. What shall I do?

If a bin is missing in your landed premise or trade premise, report the issue to the police immediately using the online police report (http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/index.html). Please send a copy of the report to Customer Service via email ([email protected]) or fax (6863 1727). Veolia will deliver a new bin to you. Replacement fees may apply.

Commercial waste collection customers and opt-in condominiums shall call our customer service via (65) 6865 3140 or the respective Veolia Business Development personnel in charge.