18,000 tonnes SCG
recovered & reused
14,000 tonnes of CO2
Gas consumption reduced
(equivalent of 2000 households)
Jacobs Douwe Egberts (JED), based in the Netherlands, produces coffee and tea products. They face challenges such as the new environmental legislation and meeting their sustainability goals of being the most energy-efficient plant. They are also exploring ways to create value from the by-products of their production process and solutions to deal with the new caloric values and density of the product.
DBOM with a Circular Economy approach
Veolia regularly discusses with JDE to understand their needs and plans. A long-term plan was put in place to upgrade current installations and the DBOM (Design, Build, Operate and Maintain) of the current biomass boiler to provide steam, compressed air, process water and treatment of spent coffee grounds (SCG). Veolia is responsible for Health & Safety matters on-site as well as the management of the wastewater treatment plant & the recovery of biogas from wastewater.
Benefits for our client
- Environmentally compliant with new landfill legislation
- Significant savings in gas consumption (equivalent of 2000 households)
- Competitiveness of the industrial site enhanced by an improved environmental footprint.
Construction of new boiler house completed & operational within 18 months.
- Zero accidents during construction.
- Recovery of biogas from wastewater treatment process.
Our Solutions in Energy, Water and Waste